Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sacrificing Career for Kids

So earlier this week a job opportunity came my way. Well--opportunity sounds lofty. I learned about an interesting teaching job and pursued it to the extent that I talked to a fellow teacher at the school and had planned to send over my CV to the headmaster. It's a temporary position, a few months this spring, at an independent middle school teaching history and Language Arts. I like my current job fine, but change is good, and since I'm adjunct I can always take a semester off and come back (this is the positive spin! The negative? They can always choose not to rehire me). A new job at a new school could be a walk down a new road. You never know, right?

A road. In California.

I was excited about it for a minute, and discussed it with B. over dinner-making the other night.

"So it's eight to eleven, every day, so you'd have to drop off L. at school every morning," I said. "And the job is so far up in the hills I'd have to drive. So you'd be biking L. every morning. And, wait, I volunteer at L.'s school every Friday, so I guess I'd have to ask the board to approve me as a non-participating parent, and pay the extra couple hundred dollars a month to be a non-participating parent, and not get to do that anymore. Hmm."

"We'd also have to start paying for early-morning care," B. said. "I can't get to work as late as 9:30 every day."

Pause. I thought about logistics for a long second. Here is what I thought to myself: We are a one-car family. It rains in the winter in Northern California. So some mornings, the bike doesn't work, and what would B. do then? Furthermore, I have committed to participating at L.'s school. I like participating at L.'s school. L. likes it when I participate at his school. And even if I made more money than I do now at this new job, the added costs of early-morning care and non-participation and gas would potentially make this job financially disadvantageous. For a one-semester gig? That might open a door, sure, but who knows?

So I let it go.

"Is that a real bummer?" B. asked me.

And that's what I've been thinking about. Was it a bummer?

The bare truth is that no, it was not a bummer. It was actually, really, totally, okay.

Bummer
But the experience has gotten me thinking. I'm always interested in momming and work, and the choices we have to make as parents. A friend with two teenage kids told me the other day that though she'd looked into a great graduate program that she desperately wanted to attend, she realized she couldn't do it because it would be way too stressful for her children. These opportunities come up, and sometimes, because we have kids, we miss them. I realize that my current job is dead-end. I realize this a little too often. Everyone knows that adjunct lecturing doesn't usually lead to tenure-track professoring, lots of prestige, or lots of money. Hell, I don't even have benefits through my job. But what it does give me is some stimulation, some experience, enough money to justify the hours I work unpaid (on writing, on blogging, on housecleaning and laundry) when L. is at school. And those things are not to be sneered at. When L. is older, maybe I will have a more prestigious work life. But that time, I'm afraid, is not now.

Eek--what would Anne Marie Slaughter think?

How about you, readers? What career sacrifices have you made for your kids? How do you balance working and parenting?







9 comments:

Pamulah said...

I gave up everything for my ungrateful children and they rewarded me by being among the nicest, brightest, compassionate (not to mention uber-liberal) people one could ever hope to meet. I guess it was worth it.......

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I've begun to LOATHE the whole "work/family balance" concept. I think it convinces me somehow that it's possible and the honest truth is that there are moments of that, but that often, for me, a freelance video producer, life is either way too full when I have a project, or a little bit too open, like a 5 bedroom house where 1 person lives.
From what I've found, the vast majority of parents who are the primary caregivers for their kids don't want to work full time and they don't want to parent full time. They want something in the middle. And those of us that find some approximation of that are lucky ducks. At the same time, life with a child is always always in flux. They get sick so no daycare that week and you're scrambling to cover work hours. You miss them when you're working too much, but need to be able to rise to the challenge to keep the work coming. It's an awkward dance, to be sure. Hmmm...am I digressing? Now I've gone and forgotten your question... :)

Anonymous said...

I'm in exactly the same place career wise. I have spent the last two months trying to arrange childcare that will meet the needs of both of my kids and get me to work on time and have gotten NOWHERE! Back to square one after many failed attempts. All that for a job that is dead-end. But, I'm afraid to be without a job. It's pretty scary. I've always worked and always had a little income. I also see that money as my private school money - if I decide public isn't right for my kids. So, career aspirations on hold and I'm already 40. I would love a job where I could go and get some personal satisfaction on top of a paycheck, but one of the sacrifices of child-rearing and worth it.

Susie said...

An Honest Mom...I liked the digression. It is amazing how things get thrown off. I think we both remember that mom telling us about her first lunch date with a friend in a year and her daughter breaking her arm at daycare. Whoops! I have been pleasantly surprised by how seamless juggling it all has felt lately, but I'm now going to be rewarded for saying that with major catastrophe and upheaval, I'm sure.

Matilde said...

I'd sacrifice everything for running. Children, jobs, studies.

Nah, I'm kidding. Hi Susie! :)

Susie said...

Hei Matilde! Går det bra? Så hyggelig at du leser!

Susie said...

Anonymous...thank you for your honesty. I appreciate it.

Anonymous said...

I homeschool my now 13-year-old daughter half-time. (Her dad homeschools her the other half; we haven't lived together since she was 4.) It's very challenging to be self-sufficient as a coach and consultant but it all feels like an upward spiral. One key for me has been the same watchword I apply to making yogurt at home: "Benign Neglect." When my daughter got to a new stage of the "twos" (no, not recently, she's become a highly cooperative partner as she's hit 13, and I do mean that)--oh, a few years ago, I let her know that if she liked homeschooling, she was going to have to motivate herself. I'm also famous for telling her there is really nothing I have to teach her but focus and discipline--same as I teach my clients. She has rewarded me (like Susie's mom!) by becoming a self-motivating, extremely discerning, wise, witty, sarcastic (gotta love it, I do) artist of her own life. I wish I could claim a lot of credit, but benign neglect cuts both ways: I don't really "make" the yogurt as much as it does (or G-d does) and I don't really claim credit for how my daughter's flourishing--but I do know when to get outta the way! And the sacrifices are plentiful, and sometimes they are not ok, but mostly, yes, amen, they are totally fine with me--and help my life-balance to boot, modelling which then greatly helps my clients.
PS: I found you b/c Britt Bravo profiled your blog in her email advertising her class you promote! I am so excited I'll be taking it!

Susie said...

Raising Clarity: thanks for weighing in, and sorry it took me a bit to see your comment (awaiting moderation indeed). I love the benign neglect (in fact I am practicing it right now, as I type and L. chatters away on one project or another). Enjoy that class!