Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Late Summer Pasta from Paige's Garden

This is what was waiting for me in my garden when I got back from my travels to the East Coast this summer.

Carrots, spring onions, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, oregano...
Yesterday on NPR there was a program about school lunches in the Bay Area, namely about how crappy they are. One commentator pointed out how unconscionable that really is, given the incredible food we have here. And we do--when I think about leaving California, one of the things that holds me back is realizing that I may never have it this good again, food-wise. Besides our tiny garden that somehow managed, over the summer, to yield enough for us to do an egg exchange, we also live around the corner from the best produce market in, well, the world--plus a cheese shop, a fish shop, and the kind of butcher shop where I'd eat almost anything in the place (and trust me, I'm picky).

It all got me thinking about how, while we sometimes struggle to make ends meet and do all the things we want to do--and here in the Bay Area, there is a lot of wealth, so you notice when you have the crappiest car in the lot, if you know what I mean--we are incredibly lucky to have the resources to feed L. good, healthy food.

I am not a food blogger, but today, friends, I am posting a recipe for Late Summer Pasta, which we made last night from some of THIS incredible bounty from my friend Paige's garden. She lives a couple of miles away, which means, in this land of micro-climates, that she can grow real tomatoes and basil like they're going out of style.

Basil, tomatillos, cuke, tomatoes, squash...
Late Summer Pasta (from Paige's garden)

3 very large ripe tomatoes (heirloom or beefsteak), or the equivalent, chopped small
1 cup or so beautiful sweet yellow or orange cherry tomatoes, halved
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
3 T. capers, or more, to taste
1-2 cloves of garlic, pressed or smooshed into paste with the flat side of a knife
1 container little fresh mozzarella balls or equivalent amount of ricotta salata
A fragrant peppery green extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Maple syrup, agave, honey, or sugar (optional; see below)
Grated lemon rind (optional; see below)
1 pound of pasta, gluten-free or regular (fresh pasta would also be divine)

About two hours before you want to eat, place all the tomatoes in a nonreactive bowl. Add garlic, chopped basil, the capers, salt and pepper to taste, mozzarella or ricotta salata, and a generous glug of olive oil. Toss gently, let sit for 15 to 20 minutes, then taste. You want a nice mix of garlicky, salty, tangy, and sweet. If the tomatoes are too tangy, you’ll need to soften the flavor with a little bit of sweetener. If they’re very sweet and you want more tang, go ahead and grate in some lemon rind.

When you're ready to eat, cook pasta until al dente in salted water. Toss with a bit of olive oil and your sauce. Correct seasoning and serve.

Serves 4.

Note: We ate this with Trader Joe's lemon-pepper pasta for the boys, and Tinkyada gluten-free penne for the Mom. That's me.

1 comment:

Susie said...

By the way--I make these great cognitive leaps without thinking it through--the reason I went from talking about school lunches to us being able to provide healthy food was because, on NPR, the point was made that something like 75% of kids in Oakland qualify for free and reduced school lunch, and a lot of them eat all three meals at school every single day. They also said the obesity rate in Oakland is sky-high...